Monday, 26 June 2017

Mid-Year Musings

With us being halfway through 2017 already, it’s the perfect time to check back on those resolutions I made back when the thrill of New Year New Me was coursing through my veins.

  1. Cruelty-free cosmetics

Out of all of my resolutions, this is probably the one I’m doing best at. The majority of my cosmetics come from either Lush or Body Shop, which are both renowned for their attitude towards animal testing. I try really hard when buying new products to research the best I can, and whilst at times it can be more expensive, it’s been a worthwhile change.

Judgement: doing well

  1. Read more non-fiction

I didn’t track my reading as accurately last year as I do now, but what I can tell you is that 11 out of the 40 books I have read so far this year have been non-fiction. I’ve read all books I can find on hygge, a few memoirs, a couple of gender studies texts, and an autobiographical graphic novel. Overall, I’d say this is definitely going better than last year, but I can still improve.

Judgement: room for improvement

  1. Read more diversely

Again, because I don’t have any accurate stats from last year this is a difficult one to gauge, but I do feel like reading diversely has been more on my mind in 2017 and that is definitely having some kind of impact. A quarter of the books I’ve read this year have had an LGBTQIA* aspect to them, whether it be the author’s identity or characters in the text, and 30% of the books I’ve read have been my authors of colour.

Judgement: need to step up my game

  1. 2 book reviews a month

For the first 3 months of the year, I was doing a book review a month - which was still an improvement on the sporadic reviews of 2016. In April, I didn’t manage to get any book reviews up, but in May I finally got on track by posting 2 reviews. I’m set to do the same in June, and I feel like it’s getting easier to attain my goal.

Judgement: getting there

P.S. you can find a catalogue of my book reviews here.

  1. Learn more bloggy things

Okay this one is a big nope, but to be fair I’ve been busy finishing my degree! I now have a whole summer to dedicate time to what I want to do, and that is where I think this goal will be achieved.

Judgement: nope

  1. Buy fewer books

Oh dear. January was a great month for my wallet, but since then the amount I’ve spent on books has increased each month - except for May. In my defence, April was a month where I was writing my final hausarbeit and had to buy German texts myself, so that contributed to quite a large peak in my book acquisitions. Other than that I have no excuses.

Judgement: must try harder.

Did you make resolutions for 2017 at the beginning of the year? How are they going? Chat with me in the comments below!
Happy reading,

Zoe