Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Spring TBR



Spring has sprung, the sun is here, days are longer and 5pm doesn’t look so drab. Time for my Spring TBR brought to you by Top Ten Tuesday. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.



  1. Behind Her Eyes - Sarah Pinborough

This is a thriller about which I’m yet to hear a bad word. Everyone keeps talking about THAT ENDING and my interest has sufficiently peaked - I’m on the library waiting list for this one so hopefully it comes in soon.

  1. I See You - Clare Mackintosh

I recently read I Let You Go by the same author and loved it. I started reading this in Blackwells a couple of weeks ago and was hooked straight away, so I have high hopes. Again, hoping that that library reservation comes in sooner rather than later…

  1. Into The Water - Paula Hawkins

This is possibly one of the most hyped titles of the year as it’s coming from the author of Girl on the Train. Apart from that, I don’t know much about it other than it’s being released in May.

  1. The Lesser Bohemians - Eimear McBride

I had a strong suspicion this would be on the Bailey’s longlist, and I was right! I’ve wanted to read this since it came out, but now that it’s on the longlist I have even more of an excuse.

  1. Swing Time - Zadie Smith

I actually started this one a while back as an audiobook and it’s only just become available again. I struggled getting into it but hopefully that’s a problem more to do with me reading it at the time rather than the book itself.
  1. How To Be Both - Ali Smith

My friends and I have decided to set up our own book club, which is so exciting. None of us have ever read Ali Smith and we all have access to How To Be Both so it’s a good place to start for all of us.

  1. Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in 15 Suggestions - Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche

YES, NEW ADICHIE. I am slowly making my through her backlist but this is too hot to miss. At 80 pages, I’ll be gutted if I don’t manage to squeeze this into my reading somewhere.

  1. Little Deaths - Emma Flint

This is being marketed as a thriller, but from what I gather it’s more of a literary fiction that is fast-paced and gripping. That’s me sold, then. PLUS this just got longlisted for the Bailey’s Prize.

  1. The Essex Serpent

This has been on my TBR ever since my boyfriend’s mum bought it for my birthday last year, a bit before it blew up and became the book that everyone’s talking about. This was Waterstones’ Book of the Year 2016, and it has of course been longlisted for the Bailey’s Prize, so I HAVE to read it soon.

  1. The Power - Naomi Alderman

All I know about this book - apart from the fact it’s on the Bailey’s longlist - is the central question: what if the power were in women’s hands? That’s enough to hook me right away.

As you can see, a lot of what I want to read relates to the Bailey’s Prize for Women’s Fiction. It’s my favourite literary prize and I cannot wait for the shortlist to be announced at the beginning of April. I was a little disappointed that nothing I’d read ended up on the longlist, but I’m seeing it as a positive that I’ve been introduced to so many new books.

What’s on your Spring TBR? What do you think of the Bailey’s Prize longlist? Let me know in the comments below!
Happy reading,
Zoe