Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Fictional Couples I've Never Understood


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme is a bit of a free-for-all, as long as it has something to do with romance.

It is rare that I don’t get behind the ship that sails. It is rare that I go against the status quo. However, these couples are exceptions, because I have never understood these couples, nor do I think I ever will do. In all cases, I feel like they would have either been better alone, or with someone else in the book.

  1. Alina and Mal - The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

I think I’m correct in saying I’m not the only one who thinks this? Apart from the fact that they knew each  since childhood, I really couldn’t understand what was attracting Alina and Mal to each other. I found Mal extremely boring, and ended up shipping Alina with Nikolai/literally anyone else.

  1. Heathcliff and Cathy - Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

There’s no denying that Heathcliff and Cathy’s romance offers a rollercoaster ride, but it is undoubtedly strange. I never saw the romantic love between these two; I just saw the anger, obsession, and manipulation…

  1. Hermione and Ron - Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

I love Hermione, and I love Ron, but I do not love them together. Again, I never saw the romance between the two and if you ask me Viktor Krum was much more appreciative of Hermione and a better match.

  1. Robin and Cormoran - The Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith

This is a bit of a sly entry because it’s not endgame yet, but from what I remember of the first three books of this series, it looks incredibly likely. It's trope I’ve been noticing in a few of the crime/thriller novels I’ve read recently: the young female professional falling for/being sexually attracted to the older male professional. The same thing happened in I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh and it frustrates me no end.

  1. Etta and Nicholas - Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

Yet another couple where I no evidence of the apparent love they felt for each other. This one probably wasn’t helped by the slow pace of the plot yet seemingly instant love between our two protagonists.

  1. Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

I enjoy Romeo and Juliet as a play and as something to analyse because there’s so much going on in it and so much to discuss with fellow literary nerds, but is this really the epitome of romantic love? I don’t believe so.

  1. Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele - *that* trilogy by E. L. James

I mean, we’re all agreed here, right?

  1. Gatsby and Daisy - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This may have something to do with the fact that I’ve never understood the appeal of this entire book, but I just do not get Gatsby and Daisy’s relationship. It is so one-sided and neither Gatsby or Daisy are interesting enough characters to hold my attention.

  1. Peeta and Katniss - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Opposite to in The Grisha Trilogy, I was rooting for the romance with the long-term childhood friend in the Hunger Games. Gale was a much stronger and more present character for me than Peeta, and I was taken by the fact that he clearly loved Katniss long before the whole Hunger Games thing.

  1. Hanna and Nik - Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Separately, I really like both of these characters, and that’s probably the reason why they’re the couple I can tolerate most on the list. This was just a case where it would have been so much better had they worked together to do the thing and then just did the thing, without the whole love/relationship thing getting in the way. Hanna is such a strong character who can hold her own, she didn’t need anyone!

What fictional couples do you find irritating/uncompelling? Let me know in the comments below! Alternatively, if you have any book recommendations with some good romantic couples (especially LGBTQIA+ romances because I am extremely lacking on that front) then please also let me know!
Happy reading,

Zoe