Friday, 13 January 2017

2017 Resolutions


I’m not usually one for New Year’s Resolutions. In the past when I have made resolutions, they have been unrealistic and I then get angry with myself for not sticking to them. This year though, I believe the ones that I’ve been thinking about are attainable. They relate to my mainly to my blogging and reading life, but also to my wider life in general.

  1. Cruelty-free cosmetics

This is one that is inspired by Hannah Witton’s video on how cruelty-free her make-up bag is. Until recently, I hadn’t been interested in cosmetics but now that my interest is growing and as a consequence of this video, I’ve been thinking about how easy it would be for me to only use cruelty-free make-up/skincare/other products; I haven’t pledged my loyalty to any brands/products so I don’t need to find alternatives, I just need to discover cruelty-free products for the first time.

  1. Read more nonfiction


Taking part in Nonfiction November made me realise just how many good nonfiction reads there are. I think before I had thought that nonfiction meant history, but since then I’ve read books on feminism and gender studies, essay collections on race, and memoirs. I hope to continue this and read even more.

  1. Read more diversely

This means everything from reading different genres to reading more Own Voices. At the beginning of 2016 I said to myself I would try to read pretty much just women authors, but then I realised that this had translated into reading more cishet white able-bodied women. I worked towards diversifying in 2016 but now I’m going to take that further.

  1. 2 book reviews a month

A couple of months ago, I realised that for a book blog, I don’t really review books a lot. I think I tend to avoid them because they can be very hard to write, especially when you loved the book and you just can’t really explain why. I want to tackle this challenge and I think 2 reviews a month is a fair and attainable goal (hopefully).

  1. Learn more bloggy things

I’ve wanted to move from Blogger for a while now, and I think I’m going to use this opportunity of moving to learn more ‘bloggy’ things. I want to learn more about coding, more about web design, and eventually migrate to my own self-hosted website.

  1. Buy fewer books

HOLY MOLY ZOË READ THE BOOKS ON YOUR SHELVES. I am constantly making excuses about how many books I haven’t read yet because I’m rarely in the same place as a lot of them, and whilst that is true, it is time to stop using this as an excuse to buy more books. I have a serious TBR problem and it’s about time that I started to try and sort it out. I’m going to buy fewer books but also start using the library more efficiently i.e. not just reserving everything I want to read in the world ever.

What do you think about New Year Resolutions? Do you make them yourself? Let me know what you think in the comments below, I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Happy reading,
Zoe