Tuesday, 1 November 2016

October Wrap Up


November is here! Scarily, this means that I’m in the final month of my first term of final year; how has time gone so quickly? On the plus side, we are one month closer to Christmas a.k.a. the best time of the year!

Read

  • The Good Girl - Mary Kubica (review)
  • Eileen - Ottessa Moshfegh ⭐⭐
  • All The Bright Places - Jennifer Niven ⭐⭐
  • The Assassin’s Blade (Throne of Glass #0.1-0.5) - Sarah J. Maas ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • You (You #1)- Caroline Kepnes (review) ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz ⭐⭐⭐
  • In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad #1) - Tana French ⭐⭐
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) - Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J. K. Rowling ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Nutshell - Ian McEwan - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Grief Is the Thing with Feathers - Max Porter ⭐⭐⭐⭐

To find out more of my thoughts on each of the above books, don't forget to become my friend on Goodreads to see all of my reviews there!

October was a good month in terms of the amount I read, but the books to begin with were a bit hit-or-miss. I tried a couple fo YA contemporaries, which although nice are not my kind of thing I realised. The books that really stand out are The Assassin’s Blade, You, and Illuminae. I can't recommend these books enough.
Book Haul

  • milk and honey - rupi kaur
  • Illuminae - Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
  • Gemina - Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (giveaway prize)

Library Haul

I have been making tons of use of my new library card in October. Libraries are such a valuable resource, use them so we don’t lose them! Books that I have out from the library at the moment are:

  • Another Day in the Death of America - Gary Younge
  • The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
  • One Hundred Years of Solititude - Gabriel Marcia Marquez

I went a bit crazy when I first joined the library and saw how many good books they have in, so I placed loads of reservations and they’re still doing that thing of all becoming available at once. I’m loving it though, because I have so many exciting things to read!

Personal Update

  • University is cray
  • I joined the creative writing anthology society! We meet weekly to discuss submissions to go in our anthology. I am loving it so so much. It’s so fun to get to read things written by students and the discussions that we have about submissions are really helping me with my reviews on here. If your uni has a similar society I cannot recommend you get involved enough!
  • I decided that I want to do a Master’s degree in Publishing, and I’ve started making steps towards getting there. It’s scary looking into university and funding and living arrangements all over again, but in the long term I think it’s going to be the best option for me.

Blog Posts


Posts I’ve Loved

  • Charlotte @ Bookmarks and Blogging gave some excellent thriller recommendations (I’m always looking for thrillers to read, let me know if you would recommend any!)
  • Rhiannon Thomas @ Feminist Fiction wrote about her thoughts on masculinity in Sarah J. Maas’s books. I love SJM and her books but I love reading posts like this that highlight problems and make me think critically rather than just blindly loving books.
  • Abby @ Crime By The Book, recommended some perfect Halloween reads and included a really helpful rating system  
  • Emily @ Paperback Princess reviewed Room by Emma Donoghue, which is a book I loved when I read it so it was good to see someone else enjoying just as much!
  • Jennifer @ That’s What She Read wrote about the importance of Me Time, something which many of us need reminding of occasionally.

There we have it, my October all wrapped up. How were your Octobers? Please link me to your own October Wrap Ups for me to read in the comments below!
Happy reading everyone,
Zoe