Thursday, 24 November 2016

My Very Potter Weekend


If you follow me on literally any form of social media, you will know that the weekend just gone was a pretty special one for me: not only did I finally get to see The Cursed Child - which we booked in October last year - but we also went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them! Read on for a few of my SPOILER FREE thoughts on both the film and the theatre production.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

To put it simply: I loved it. It had all of the wonderful world-building qualities that The Philosopher’s Stone had, except CGI and all that jazz has come so far that it really did look magical. Also, the music was just beautiful. I literally haven’t stopped listening to the soundtrack (I highly recommend listening to 'Inside the Case').

The characters were so loveable and bright and the animated characters were made just as big an impression as the human ones. The Niffler reminded me of BB-8 in Star Wars: The Force Awakens in that the creators managed to convey such a strong personality purely through animation, which I found incredible. And of course there is the complete cinnamon roll of a character that is Newt Scamander. Eddie Redmayne is so good playing this introverted, charming character who lights up when they talk about the things they love. Importantly, he felt like such a natural character to be added to the Wizarding World.

I must say, I’m not happy with the casting of Johnny Depp in the series, nor the response from J. K. Rowling (although I do wonder how much she could have realistically said/how much involvement she had in casting/whether Depp was cast before the allegations of domestic abuse came out). Not only is it the fact that he’s been casted in such a big film at all that angers me, but also the fact that it is a central role which cannot be avoided in the next 4 films.

The Cursed Child

I was apprehensive going into the play, because people I knew weren’t happy with the storyline. I kept an open mind though, and in the end, I wasn't disappointed.

I do see why some people had issues with the plot; it did feel a little drawn out at times with all too convenient twists to carry the plot on. It was definitely an interesting idea though, and I do believe that it could have happened. It was good to see some old faces too, and the actors did a great job.

The production itself was gobsmacking. I genuinely think actual magic was involved at some points. It was also made very obvious that it was produced for theatre - dance sequences between scenes, astounding use of props for a variety of purposes, and stagehands dressed in black cloaks who would cast their cloak over an object before carrying it away.

The characters were where I had a few issues. At times, the old faces I was so happy to see did not feel like the younger characters we know from the books. For some, I was able to come up with a valid reason as to why they had developed in such a way, but for others the play characters and the book characters felt irreconcilable. My main issue lies with one specific character, who I do not like, who I will never like, and who I do not feel should have been represented the way they are in the play.

One character made up for all my issues and that is Scorpius Malfoy (I don’t think this is a spoiler as cast photos have been released). He was incredible. Funny, wacky, and nerdy - and not nerdy in the Hermione sense of the word, as in obsesses over every detail and wants perfection, but in the happy to learn things and loves quizzes way - something which I find so relatable. He, for me at least, was the real highlight of the show.

Those are my thoughts, so what are yours?I would love the opportunity to talk more in-depth about both the film and the play, so if you do too, you can contact me by direct messaging me on either Twitter or Instagram.

Happy reading everyone,