Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Villains


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week I am sharing my top 10 villains! I am very much a goody-two-shoes and I don’t usually love villains in a “what a misunderstood lost soul they are” way, but the following list are villains that have stuck with me for one reason or another.

  1. The Evil Queen - Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

The Evil Queen in Snow White is the first villain I remember ever being completely terrified of, to the point where I still remember to this day a nightmare involving her.

  1. Miss Trunchball - Matilda, Roald Dahl

Miss Trunchball locks children in a spike cupboard and often publically humiliates pupils. And no parents ever complain?!

  1. Cersei - A Song of Ice and Fire, George R. R. Martin

I love Cersei because of how determined and protective of her children she is. She will literally stop at nothing to get what she wants and is just so fierce.

  1. Amy - Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn

Amy is one of my all time favourite characters - she is so twisted and calculating and at the time was unlike any other female character I’d ever read.

  1. Patrick Bateman - American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis

Patrick Bateman makes it onto the list purely because of how foul and horrible and psychopathic he is and the disgusting murders he commits which have burnt themselves onto my brain.

  1. Lord Voldemort - Harry Potter series, J. K. Rowling

Lord Voldemort of course makes it onto the list, as he’s a villain that I grew up with. I don’t think I ever really understood how evil he is until I was a little bit older and reread the books.

  1. Bellatrix Lestrange - Harry Potter series, J. K. Rowling

Bellatrix makes it onto the list because I think she is the best representation of a classic evil witch: the out of control hair, the long nails, the cackle, the obsession with the Dark Arts, her penchant for torturing of young girls.

  1. Dolores Umbridge - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, J. K. Rowling

Never has a character made me hate them so much than Dolores Umbridge. I hate everything to do with Umbridge, from that stupid laugh, the pink, the weird interruptive cough she does, the child abuse, the racism. SHE IS THE WORST.

  1. Joe - You, Caroline Kepnes

I haven’t finished reading You, but I knew that Joe had to be on the list because I started the book and within 3 pages he had my skin crawling. He’s a stalker who becomes infatuated with a girl and the story is told from his perspective so you get to see how he rationalises his actions and how creepy he is.

  1. Queen Maeve - Throne of Glass series, Sarah J. Maas

Maeve is a great villain because she is ruthless and fully aware of how villainous she is. I was never really bothered by her character until I read Empire of Storms and now it’s a fully fledged hatred that I’m nursing for her.

Are you a fan of villains? Who are your favourite ones? Let me know by commenting below and don’t forget to link me to your TTT post!
Happy reading,
Zoe