Tuesday, 6 September 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Book-to-TV Adaptations

Ahh Top Ten Tuesday, it’s been a while. Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish and this week’s theme was TV-based, and to keep it more book-related I decided to do book to TV adaptations. I’ve split my ten into two lists; the first is a list of the TV adaptations I have watched, and the second list is a list of the ones that I really really want to watch.


  1. And Then There Were None - BBC

I watched this adaptation not having read the book (which is shameful considering it’s THE most successful crime book in the world) but this actually worked in my favour because I didn’t know whodunnit. I really cannot fault it; the cast was brilliant - featuring Aidan Turner, Charles Dance, Douglas Booth - and now that I’ve read the book, I think it’s one of the best TV adaptations I’ve ever seen.


  1. Pride and Prejudice - BBC

Speaking of the best TV adaptations I’ve ever seen, this one comes a very close second. It’s incredibly true to the book, and of course features my beloved Colin Firth with *that* lake scene.


  1. Game of Thrones - HBO

Although this series gets successively worst in terms of staying true to the books, it’s still brilliant to watch. The way the world of Westeros and the characters have come alive onscreen is amazing, and some of the scenery is breathtaking.


  1. Sherlock - BBC

I LOVE the Sherlock TV series. I love how modern Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have made it! Also let’s just all spare a minute to appreciate Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman’s portrayal of Sherlock and John Watson...


  1. Great Expectations - BBC

Firstly: I do not like the book Great Expectations. I think it has something to do with how incredibly incompetent our teacher was when we studied it in school, but I also think I’m just not a fan of Dickens. Saying that, this adaptation was really good and Gillian Anderson’s portrayal of Miss Havisham was on point.


Now onto the adaptations which I have yet to watch/read:

  1. The Night Manager - BBC

I have heard so many good things about this series and I must must must watch it soon. I was sold when I heard that Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie are in it, but unfortunately I was living in Germany at the time and so couldn’t access iPlayer.


  1. Outlander - Starz

This series is so hyped and I’m feeling a bit out of the loop. I’m not sure if I’ll ever get round to reading the books though because they're a little daunting - there seems to be about 10 of them all over 600 pages??


  1. War and Peace - BBC

I can say quite firmly that I will never get around to reading War and Peace, hence why I would really like to watch the BBC adaptation. As this list shows, I’m quite a fan of BBC adaptations so my expectations are pretty high, although I have absolutely no idea what it’s about (aside from the obvious).


  1. American Gods - Starz

Again, I don’t really know much about the story, apart from small bizarre snippets my boyfriend told me about whilst he was reading it recently. It hasn’t aired yet so hopefully I’ll be able to read some other (shorter) Gaiman before watching it.


  1. Wolf Hall - BBC

I really like the Tudor period - perhaps because I got my first ever A* for a year 5 project I did on it along with the best drawing of Henry VIII known to man. The book Wolf Hall won the Man Booker prize and I’ve heard many good things about the series so I think when I eventually do watch it I won’t be disappointed.

What are your favourite book to TV adaptations? Which ones would you like to watch? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to leave links to your TTT posts!

Previous Blog Posts


Love to you all,
Zoe