Wednesday, 14 September 2016

How To Read More


Last week, I wrote about how to conquer your TBR, but what use are those tips when you’re struggling to find the time to read in the first place? Hopefully the following suggestions will help you cram in as much reading into your day as possible.


  1. Always have a book on you

I have become known for literally always having at least one book on me. It may be a physical book, it may be my Kindle, it may be an audiobook on my phone, it might be all 3. By always having a book on you, you always have the option of reading. Take one on your commute, read before and between lectures, read anytime you would normally be mindlessly scrolling on your phone - or in the case of audiobooks read whilst scrolling on your phone.


  1. Read before bed

Reading is beneficial in many ways, but did you know that reading for just 6 minutes before bed can help you sleep better? By escaping into a book, you can take your mind off your everyday troubles and get a better night’s sleep - killing multiple birds with one stone.


  1. Listen to audiobooks

At the beginning of the year, I tried out audiobooks for the first time. I immediately fell in love because I managed to fit reading into the most mundane parts of my life: food shopping, commuting, brushing my teeth, washing up.

If you can’t afford something like Audible beyond its 30-day free trial (because let’s be honest, it’s pretty expensive), libraries often have an online audiobook catalogue as well as audiobook CDs.


  1. Try short stories/poetry

Short stories are something that I’m only just trying myself (poetry will come later). The thing I find about short stories is that I get more from them when I read them all in one go - which isn’t too difficult to do when they only take, say, half an hour. Carving out a bit of time to finish just one story is much easier sometimes than committing to one full chapter of a book.
  1. Join a book club

Sometimes, I do things better when I have group encouragement. In sports this translates to an aerobics instructor shouting at me from the front of the class, in reading it means working with others to finish a book by a certain date. Having a deadline gives me an incentive - I don’t like being late/behind.

Book clubs are amazingly flexible too - they can be online via Goodreads or in real life through your university or workplace. You can find something for everyone, whether you want to focus on a particular genre, or you only want to be reading a book on a bi-monthly basis. If there isn’t one that’s suitable for you, set one up! My personal favourites at the moment are Our Shared Shelf set up by Emma Watson and the Feminist Orchestra Book Club which was set up by Jean @ Bookish Thoughts.

Do you have any tips for fitting reading time into a hectic schedule? Let me know by commenting below!
Love to you all,
Zoe