Thursday, 11 August 2016

Birthday Book Haul!

Hello hello hello!

On Saturday, I finally turned 21. I’ll be honest: it doesn’t feel much different but it did give people a good excuse to spoil me with books/money for books. Let’s begin:


  • The Miniaturist - Jessie Burton
  • The Muse - Jessie Burton
  • The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry

These were all gifts from my boyfriend’s mother, with whom I spend a lot of time talking about the books. We are both always reading and these are a few books which she has read recently and I’ve mentioned I’ve heard about from the book blogosphere. I’m glad she got them for me because they’re books that I probably wouldn’t have bought myself but I have wanted to read (and also because two of them are hardbacks which I never have the money for and they are beautiful!).


  • Elephants Can Remember - Agatha Christie
  • Vanishing Giants: Elephants of Asia - Palani Mohan
  • A Trunk Full of Tales - Dhriti K. Lahiri Choudhury
  • Elephas Maximus: A Portrait of the Indian Elephant - Stephen Alter
  • Elephant Colouring Book for Adults

Do you notice a theme here? These books all came from my boyfriend and all feature elephants either just in the title or in the subject matter of the book. I’ve mentioned before how Agatha Christie is one of my favourite authors of all time so I can’t wait to get stuck into that one. The Vanishing Giants book is a collection of photographs which are so stunning and heart-wrenching and will have pride of place on my future coffee table. The colouring book is one of the most intricate colouring books I’ve ever seen and is really difficult but I’m loving it. The other two books look so interesting and it’s such a shame that I won’t be able to read them before leaving for India.

And in the final set of books from my birthday haul so far are the books that I’ve bought myself from money given to me by my dad:

  • Girls Will Be Girls: Dressing Up, Playing Parts, and Daring to Act Differently - Emer O’Toole

I saw this originally on Lauren’s Booktube Channel, Reads and Daydreams, and knew I had to have it when she mentioned it was about gender roles and how we perform gender. I’ve actually started this one and I am really enjoying it and I can tell it’s a book I’ll be handing around to all of my friends.


  • Everyday Sexism - Laura Bates

I recently won and read Girl Up and really enjoyed how much information was packed into it about a subject that’s very close to my heart. I’ve been following the Everyday Sexism Project on Twitter for a while now, and I thought it was about time I read the book too. It’s been recommended by friends whose opinions I highly respect so I’m excited to get stuck in.


  • The Assassin’s Blade - Sarah J. Maas

Ahh, MY QUEEN. After recently finishing A Court of Mist and Fury (which I am still not over by the way), I absolutely needed more Maas in my life and The Assassin’s Blade is the only book I haven’t read yet and hopefully it will keep me going until Empire of Storms comes out next month. It’s a collection of novellas that are part of the Throne of Glass world which is the world that made me fall in love with Maas in the first place, and I cannot wait to be back with Celaena Sardothien who is possibly my favourite character of all time (up there with Rhysand, of course).
  • The Grisha Trilogy - Leigh Bardugo

So in the course of writing this blog post I have also been looking at the Kindle store to buy the rest of the books that were on my Top Ten Tuesday Wishlist post for my travels and whilst I was slightly shocked about how much more expensive ebooks seem to have become, I did find all three Grisha books for 99p each. The Grisha Trilogy has been on my radar for a while but not really at the top of any list, but seeing it for so cheap I couldn’t resist!

Any books that you like the look of? Or maybe you’ve read one of the ones mentioned and think I should read it ASAP? Let me know in the comments below!

Previous Blog Posts


Love to you all,