Thursday, 7 July 2016

Discussion: Monthly TBRs

Hello wonderful people of the book blogging world,

It's July! Mental that we're more than halfway through 2016, but judging by world events that can only be a good thing. Anyway, seeing as it's the beginning of the month, it's typical for us to see bookstagram photos and blog posts about July TBRs (To Be Read). I love seeing these photos, not just because I'm interested in seeing what people want to pick up in a given month and whether I've read it, but rather because it feels me with a sense of admiration; how do these people know that they're going to read these books this month? How do they choose in advance?

I am a lover of lists and all things organisational, so planning a month's reading in advance is - in theory - right up my street. And the thought of doing it is appealing. It would be a great way of whittling down my TBR pile of books I already own. Yet I don't do it.

Part of the reason is because I am almost never in the same place as the books I want to read - case number one: I ordered ACOTAR and ACOMAF last week, knowing they would arrive in time for my arrival in the UK, but unfortunately I didn't have enough time to start them, and I couldn't bring them back to Germany with me because they would only take up more luggage space when I finally move back to the UK next week (!!). 

Also, I'm a mood reader. Whilst I may feel like reading a book at the beginning of the month, this might not be the case a couple of books down the line. I usually want what I can't have, too, for instance I recently sent The Girl in the Red Coat back to the UK because it'd been on my Germany shelf for months and I still hadn't read it. Lo and behold a few days later and I've got a hankering for a crime book and I know the perfect choice!
TBR jars are a definite no-no for me. Like I said, I like organisation, I like planning, I do not like spontaneity (unless it's a huge surprise for a special occasion or something). I'd behave exactly the same way as I do with my Spotify playlist: shuffle until you find something you like. I'd be putting books back into the jar until I found one I did want to read, which kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

Maybe when I'm in the same place as my books, a monthly TBR pile will look even more appealing and you'll soon be seeing photos of stacks of books I think I can read in 30 days. For now though, I pick up any book I fancy and my TBR keeps growing because of it.

I would love to know how you choose what to read next! Do you create monthly TBR piles? Do you use a jar or other random-choice system? Let me know in the comments below!

Love to you all,
Zoe