Sunday, 26 June 2016

Weekly Wrap Up #11: Post-Brexit Blues

Hello everyone,

There's no reading to update you on this week because I am still reading Order of the Phoenix, I am still in the midst of deadlines (although pretty close to being done with those now), and I think I'm in a bit of a reading slump if I'm honest. I haven't felt much desire to pick up a book at all, which is odd considering the world around me definitely feels like something I need to escape from. 

If you have had any sort of interaction with the news, you'll know that Britain has just made a monumental decision. On Thursday, 17,410,742 people voted to leave the European Union. A campaign fronted by Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, and Nigel Farage managed to appeal to enough people so that an irreversible decision affecting many more than just those who live in Britain was made. Hours after winning, it was made clear that this campaign was based on lies, that many had voted without being correctly informed, and that there are massive problems in British society: there is a huge generational gap, which has young people like me feeling betrayed and scared for their future and racism has become horribly prevalent.

Britain is now in chaos. Scotland want to have a second independence referendum - and rightly so - because despite the entirety of Scotland voting to remain, it could be forced to leave anyway. Northern Ireland and Ireland are now considering the possibly of unifying, because Northern Ireland, too, voted largely to remain yet could be forced to follow the will of the English. The economy is crashing. The Government wants to not implement Article 50 - the article that triggers Britain leaving - but the EU naturally wants this over and done with as soon as possible. Nobody knows what the hell is going to happen. 

I study German and Linguistics, and whilst going back to Germany after my year abroad wasn't necessarily an option I wanted to consider right away, it was always an option. Now, things are about to get a lot harder considering Britain just voted to give up its right to live, work, and study in the EU states. If I want to go back to Germany, or indeed anywhere else in Europe, it has to be sooner rather than later to avoid all the problems that could be caused by not being from an EU member state.

Apart from that though, this referendum has made it clear to me that I do not want to live in Britain for any longer than I have to. My non-British friends have been told to pack their bags, which unfortunately appears not to be a rare case. People are being told to speak English in the streets of London - LONDON. A city of multiculturalism. People are blaming things that are the fault of a Tory government on immigrants and the whole thing is making me ANGRY. SO ANGRY. 

I may sound bitter, because I am. I understand it was a democratic vote but all that says to me is that Britain seriously needs to consider a different electoral voting system, so that participation in general elections is higher and more representative. My future is now even more uncertain than it was before. And I have no idea what I'm going to do.