Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Books of 2016 So Far


Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's theme is Top Ten Favourite 2016 Releases So Far.

The only two books I've read this year that were also published this year are Passenger by Alexandra Bracken and One With You by Sylvia Day. Neither of them were particularly amazing, so I've decided to tweak this week's theme and talk about my top ten favourite books I've read this year.


  1. Queen of Shadows - S. J. Maas


Maas makes it to the top of any top ten list. Her writing is engaging, her world is brilliant, and her characters are amazing. I shan’t say any more on the matter so as not to bore you all with my endless Maas praise (if you fancy more Maas praise, check out my posts here and here)


  1. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie


I’ve been a fan of Agatha Christie for a while now, but this book was unlike any other. To think it was the first book she published - 90 years ago! - is incredible, because it is so perfectly executed and always keeps you guessing. It’s a brilliant whodunnit from the Queen of Murder Mystery.


  1. Moranifesto - Caitlin Moran


I loved this book so much it immediately became one of my top 5 favourite books of all time. It’s a collection of Moran’s columns that have been put together and made into her own manifesto. It is relatable, it is hilarious, and it is inspiring. It made me cry with both laughter and the joy of feeling understood, and I couldn’t help but interrupt whatever my boyfriend was doing so I could read him entire pieces and watch him laugh too.


  1. The Love That Split The World - Emily Henry
This book will always have a special place in my heart, because it was the first book I read as a result of the book blogging community. Not only did I really enjoy it, it also made me want to step out of my comfort zone a bit more because you’ll never know what you’ll end up reading - in this case it was a story about time travel.


  1. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
  2. The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith
  3. Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith


This series is written by J. K. Rowling under the pen name Robert Galbraith and follows a private detective Cormoran Strike and his assistant Robin as they try and solve pretty gruesome and twisted crimes. Although I found it quite hard to keep up with the plots in audiobook form, I could not recommend listening to them highly enough if you don’t see that being a problem. The narrator, Robert Glenister, is just plain brilliant. He produces such a wide of voices that you always know who’s talking, and the voices match the characters perfectly.


  1. Cinder - Marissa Meyer
  2. Cress - Marissa Meyer
The Lunar Chronicles is the first series I got into because of the bookstagram community, so it holds yet another special place, but you’ll notice that Scarlet didn’t make it...Cinder was excellent because of the world-building which was simultaneously new and familiar - every futuristic world must have robots and digital currency, after all. Also, the twist on a extremely well known fairytale was so new and interesting. Cress is probably my favourite so far, mainly due to Thorne, but also because of the development of the story as a whole. I felt like Scarlet dragged a bit, and I would have liked to have seen some of the things that happened in Cress a little bit earlier. All in all though, these books are great, and I can’t wait to finally get my hands on Winter.


  1. Goblet of Fire - J. K. Rowling

All favourite lists must include at least one Harry Potter, thems the rules. Since finding out my library has the beautiful shiny sparkly English editions of the series, I’ve been slowly making my way through it again. Goblet of Fire was the first one of the series which I hadn’t already re-read, and I think that’s why it was so special to me; everything felt new and magical all over again.