Sunday, 15 May 2016

Weekly Wrap Up #5: Bittersweet

Hello all! Here's hoping your weeks went well and were full of delicious reads.

This week has been a whirlwind. At the beginning of the week I arrived back from the UK and had to gear myself up for the fact that it is time to knuckle down and do some work instead of jetting off every weekend. This is my first weekend in Erfurt since arriving back for the summer semester, and it's bittersweet: whilst I am no longer constantly on the move, I AM ILL. UGH. I spent most of yesterday in bed reading Heir of Fire, which don't get me wrong, is great, but I did hope to use my weekend back to continue the week's productivity - which by the way was excellent; I got so much of my Year Abroad admin done and started the research for this semester's big essay. Let's just hope I'm better by tomorrow and can have an awesome week.

Finished


  • Luckiest Girl Alive - Jessica Knoll
This book has been on my radar for months - I think I first read about it in one of those Buzzfeed articles about new thrilling books or something. It was an impulse buy in Gatwick Airport after I had realised I did not have an adaptor to charge my phone and so could no longer continue to read Heir of Fire and my expectations were relatively high. I've seen a lot about the book recently too, with Jessica Knoll revealing that she was gang-raped at 15, like her character TifAni FaNelli. 

Overall, I felt let down by Luckiest Girl Alive. It deals with serious issues such as rape and its aftermath, and eating disorders, but in the end I felt like these were entirely glossed over and not dealt with enough attention as they deserved. I think a lot of the disappointment also came from the comparisons to Gillian Flynn, who I love. In general, the book felt *almost there*. It by no means put me off reading any other of Knoll's future books, but I wouldn't reread this one. You can read more of my thoughts over on my Goodreads.

Book News!

  • Empire of Storms Cover!

YAAAAS AMIRITE?! I may only be a recent devotee to the Throne of Glass series, and I may only be on Heir of Fire, but that does not mean that I am any less excited for Empire of Storms! I love all of the covers to these books, because I think they represent Celaena so well (i.e. as an amazing heroine). I'm thinking I might have to pace myself with Queen of Shadows and finish it just in time for September, so that I don't have to wait too long to read Empire of Storms. 

Empire of Storms is going to be released on 6th September 2016 and is going to be a whopping 704 pages long. I recommend we hibernate until then and then load up on snacks and beverages for a reading marathon.

  • Books are not dead.

We in the book blogging community have known this for a while, but this week it was revealed that printed book sales have been on the rise, whereas ebook sales have gone down. Simon Jenkins wrote a wonderful article that essentially was an ode to the physical book, and I would definitely recommend reading it because I think a lot of people will feel the same way.

I do not think, however, that ebooks will forever be on this downward trend. There are still some staggering advantages to ebooks: the ability to carry more than one with you at once, for instance, even if it's a heft of a volume like Game of Thrones, or the fact that often ebooks are cheaper, so students like me can still indulge themselves in literary treats, or that you can read them in the dark. Whilst I myself have started to buy fewer ebooks recently, that's mainly because of the bookstagram community and the fact that I can never really get good pictures of my Kindle books - if I were sensible and thought about the fact that in 2 months I have to transport all of my books back to the UK, I would be buying more ebooks. Alas, I am not. Weep for my luggage allowance, guys.

Yet another week is over, well done for getting through it. See you all on Tuesday for an exciting Tea Tuesday post!
Love to you all,
Zoe