Sunday, 17 April 2016

Weekly Wrap Up #2: Happy

Hello all!

This week comes with the following revelation: I am happy. For the first time since I came to Germany, I feel happy being here. Perhaps it's the fact that work is no longer such a stress and I finally have some time to myself to do the things I mentioned in last week's post, but mainly I think it's down to this blog and the amazing community I've been sucked into in the last month. Reading has always been a passion of mine, but I never twigged that it could be something more than just reading words on a page; this blog has introduced me to so much more in terms of the world of books and reading, and I have learnt so much since deciding to take the plunge and create Readabilitea. I finally feel like I have a hobby that is something I enjoy enough to be able to keep up. Thank you, those of you who take your time to read my posts and comment on them.

I have also stopped caring about what I should do on my Year Abroad, and how I should be spending my evenings. There is so much pressure when it comes to going on your Year Abroad, but I'd like to talk about that in a separate post.

So, onto books!

Finished

  • Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith
This is the 3rd and latest book in the Cormoran Strike series and it has the creepiest beginning compared to the other books BY FAR. In terms of the story, a woman's leg is delivered to the office, addressed to Robin. Naturally, Strike quickly draws up a list of 3 suspects that both he and Robin then investigate. At the same time, Robin's wedding to Matthew is inching closer. We finally get more personal detail about Cormoran, Robin, and Matthew, not to mention we find out about the event in Robin's past that caused her to drop out of university. Overall, I found the story progressed at a great pace, and suspicion towards any one character wasn't too heavily emphasised. I listened to this on Audible, and would definitely recommend it - Robert Glenister is a fantastic narrator, who seems to be able to do any accent, and easily differentiates between all characters. Be warned though: if you tend to zone out when listening to audiobooks, as I all to often do, it might be best to read the series in ebook/physical book form. I'm planning on doing exactly this at some point in the future.

Started

I went a bit mad with starting books this week, because I joined the local library and discovered the English Literature section of the university section, so even though I haven't even scratched the surface of How To Be Both, I started two other books:

  • Matilda - Roald Dahl
I love Matilda. Danny DeVito's film is one of my all time favourites, and I love the book even more. Matilda is someone we can all relate to - someone who finds comfort and solace in books and their characters. Dahl's characters practically jump off the page, and it's impossible for me to not giggle along when scenes I remember so fondly from the film are played out in words in front of me. My personal favourite so far is the car profit scene. What's great about the copy I'm reading too, is that it's obviously been used by a german learner of English, so in the margins there are these strange German translations for English words such as "twaddle" and "mooch".

  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J. K. Rowling
Okay so this one was more of a "re-started". I actually started re-reading this whilst I was still in the UK, but couldn't bring the book with because there was no space in my already too full tiny hand luggage. Luckily, I found that the local library had the English copy, so I reserved it immediately and picked it up the next day. I haven't been able to stop taking photos of it because the cover is just so beautiful and I can't believe I don't own these editions yet! One day...


Library Haul

As I mentioned on Twitter, I spent over an hour in the bookshop in town yesterday without buying one single book. Not one! I haven't officially put myself on a book buying ban, but since joining the library I've realised just how many amazing books they have that I can now read without buying them, and I'd like to make the most of that whilst I'm still here. On top of Matilda and Prisoner of Azkaban, I already borrowed:
  • Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
I picked this one up on a complete whim. I've been told by Lauren @ Bookineering to read as little about it as possible, so I'm really excited to get started with it. 
  • Harry Potter und der Feuerkelch
Since being back in Germany, the amount of daily German in my life would appal my professors. Other than my classes and interactions with my flatmates, I've placed myself firmly in a very English bubble. I'm hoping that when I finish reading Prisoner of Azkaban, reading the Goblet of Fire in German will not only be enjoyable, but also help me work German into more aspects of my life. 
  • The Fellowship of the Ring - J. R. R. Tolkien
I have been meaning to read this trilogy ever since I acquired all three books at a book swap back in sixth form. I couldn't bring all of them with, so when I saw it sitting on the shelves, I couldn't resist. 

Blog Posts

I'm getting into the swing of this blogging thing now! Don't forget to check out my posts:
How has your week been? What did you start/finish/add to your TBR?

Love to you all,
Zoe